Old good cBPF and program size

Hi,

While eBPF is all the rage, I keep starry eyes about the simplicity and power of old good cBPF: needs no complex toolchain, and lets you revive fond asm memories :)

I came across a situation where it was the silver bullet, but for one nagging limitation:

    #define XT_BPF_MAX_NUM_INSTR   64

hardcoded into a kernel header (xt_bpf.h).
My situation required a longer program (120 insns or so). This tends to happen when loops are not permitted, and the protocol to parse is DNS (which finds it funny to stick the most important field, RR, behind a variable number of variable length chunks, the FQDN words).

So I fixed that value, with a similar patch to the iptables executable, and of course that works beautifully: "-m bpf" with some headroom gives new perspectives :)

Now, I'm here to ask whether that ship has sailed or not: is cBPF considered a thing of the past, where any improvement would hinder eBPF adoption, or would people see some value in removing that nagging limitation (with a /proc tunable for instance, defaulting to the old value) ?

Thank you.