libmnl & rtnetlink questions

First off, please let me know if this list isn't an appropriate place
for these sorts of questions.

With that out of the way, I'm trying to understand the sample program
at:

  http://git.netfilter.org/libmnl/tree/examples/rtnl/rtnl-link-dump.c

I've been able to puzzle most of it out, but I'm confused by the
use of the struct rtgenmsg (declared on line 88 and used on lines
95-96).

* Based on rtnetlink(7), shouldn't this more properly be a struct
  ifinfomsg (even though only rtgen_family/ifi_family is set)?

* More importantly, why is setting this to AF_PACKET required at all?
  Testing the program without setting it reveals that it definitely is
  required, but I haven't been able to find anything that explains *why*
  that is the case.

Thanks!

                 In Soviet Russia, Google searches you!