Re: ipset - destroy table hang in kernel as Dproccess on kernel 4.19.12

Hi,

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019, Martin Kratochvíl wrote:

> i am using ipset longer then year on many routers. On routers under high
> load (gigabit network, 300Mbps+, many packets.) we discover problem with
> ipset (debian stretch ipset version 6.30, vanilla kernel 4.19.12)
>
> I often swap and destroy sets (ipset), for "zeroing counters" (on time
> in 5 minutes)
>
> After few days of router normal operation the command
> #ipset destroy <table_name>
>
> hang in kernel, proccess is seeing as D - uninterruptable. After this
> happen, i couldn't make succesfully any "ipset destroy .." or "ipset
> swap .." operation, or command iptables -S hang too and we have other
> problem with mount or other kernel operation. After that load is higher
> and higher, use of memory is higher and only way how to solve this is
> reboot router, panic ocurs aproximately 4-6 hours after the comannd
> hangs.

Is there any ipset operation (list/swap/etc.) executed in parallel with
the destroy command which hangs? Is there any kernel message during this
time? Couldn't you capture a panic message?

> We try change the debian package ipset 6.30, with ipset 7.1 and compile
> last kernel ipset modules  from source against kernel 4.19.12 as extra/
> and change it in our kernel router. The problem still persist with this
> new ipset modules too.
>
> We do not se any messages in kernel log with problem. The problem occurs
> with r8169 driver, with r8168 driver too. The problem ocurs with e1000e
> driver on other hardware.
>
> In older kernel 4.16.8 this do not happen.

There was a race betwen save/swap/delete, fixed just before ipset 6.30. So
it's strange...

> Is this kernel problem or problem with ipset? Is other way how to
> zeroing counter in ipset? Or is it problem with swapping and destroying
> sets, when we do it so often?

Probably it's an ipset issue but more info is needed...

Currently there's no other way to zero the packet/byte counters.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlecsik.jozsef@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary