Re: dropped SSH sessions with kernels >= 4.14 upon iptables clear then load [REGRESSION][BISECTED]

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 08:48:18 -0700
"Doug Smythies" <dsmythies@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sometimes it is desirable to temporarily disable, or clear,
> the iptables rule set on a computer being controlled via a
> secure shell session (SSH). While unwise on an internet facing
> computer, I also do it often on non-internet accessible computers
> while testing. Recently, this has become problematic, with the
> SSH session being dropped upon re-load of the rule set.

This is surprising, I often do this as well (iptables -F of everything while
policies are set to DROP, then readding rules one by one), and did not notice
any change, this keeps working fine for me.

Could you post the relevant iptables rules from your configuration, i.e. the
ones which act on your SSH connections? Also do you know in which specific
4.14 kernel version the change went in? I can't find it in Changelogs for any
of 4.14.x on kernel.org.

--
With respect,
Roman