Re: libnftables, next steps

Hi Pablo,

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 12:19:51PM +0200, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 12:51:52AM +0200, Phil Sutter wrote:
[...]
> > * Create src/nftables_common.c and include/nftables_common.h to hold
> >   nft_run() and nft_netlink().
>
> Why not just place this in src/libnftables.c?

Sounds reasonable. I was merely wondering why Eric chose to distribute
things this way.

[..]
> > Some additional thoughts:
> >
> > * Should we support different output streams for debug and/or error
> >   messages?
>
> What usecase you have in mind for this?

This was just me speculating about advanced API features. Assuming that
in future, applications would be able to replicate nft_run_cmd_from_*()
functions in their own code, it might be useful for them to configure
different streams for debug/error messages to treat them differently
from "regular" output. But I guess we best just ignore that until
someone actually provides a use-case for it.

> > * Should we reuse src/erec.c for regular output as well? (This probably
> >   needs a 'print immediately' switch for monitor mode, though.)
>
> Again, same question.

This was just an idea as well, no actual use-case in mind. The nice
thing about error records is that they may be typed (erec->type) and
separate messages stay separate. Right now, applications get everything
in a single buffer and using erec would allow them to distinguish
between different messages without parsing for newlines or the like. But
yeah, maybe just keep in mind for later.

> > Feedback highly appreciated, of course! Should I start with moving the
> > library stuff into libnftables.{c,h} so we get an impression of what the
> > API will look like?
>
> I think Eric doesn't have time at this stage, so if you can take his
> patches, revamp and resubmit, that would be great.

Will do, thanks for your feedback!

Cheers, Phil