Re: [PATH nft v2 05/18] libnftables: add nft_run_command_from_buffer

Hi,

On Tue, 2017-08-22 at 14:37 +0200, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 09:21:06PM +0200, Eric Leblond wrote:
> > On Mon, 2017-08-21 at 11:44 +0200, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
> > > On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 11:06:19AM +0200, Eric Leblond wrote:
>
> [...]
> > > In a nutshell: we provide a simple API for people that don't want
> > > deal with IO at all, that's good. Then, an API that allows people
> > > deal with IO themselves - advanced stuff. Simple API functions
> > > would
> > > be made of composites of the advance ones.
> >
> > OK, I'm good with this approach and it will please the "I'm afraid
> > of
> > netlink" club ;)
>
> OK, so we agree on the API policy then.
>
> [...]
> > I think we can all have as a guideline for libnftables that all
> > advanced things are going to the advanced functions. The simple
> > functions must provide something appealing in term of features but
> > have
> > to remain really simple.
>
> Fine with it.
>
> > This make me think I still don't know how to deal with sets. I'm
> > not
> > planning to work on it but I think it is a feature that should be
> > available in the simple functions. But we are dealing with possibly
> > complex object so this can be really messy.
>
> What's your concern with sets?

None fundamental really. It is just I don't see how we can build an
easy API with set that can looks like "ipv4_addr . ipv4addr .
inet_service". The use needs to be able to build the set object (could
be a string) AND to parse it. This last part is the most complex I
think. Maybe the JSON formatting could help here.

++
--
Eric Leblond <eric@xxxxxxxxx>