How to contribute to documentation?

First off, let me say that coming from a background of Cisco and FreeBSD-based firewalls, nftables is a welcome discovery!

I've been trying to figure out both the logic and the syntax and have been stymied by the lack of complete and/or consistent documentation.  I've read the man page for nft, both from Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS and online, as well as gone through https://wiki.nftables.org/ a few times and still can't find the information I need to be able either to create a non-trivial firewall using nftables, or to have the confidence that it will perform as expected.

In the hopes that what I learn along the way can help other end users and the project in the future, what are the best ways to contribute to the documentation?

Also, where can I get the "formal" syntax description for the nft commands?

Even just knowing what is required and what is optional would help immensely and allow me to determine if it is a "bug" or if it is my error.  As an example, I apparently wrongly assumed that declaring a set and adding elements to it in the context of a table declaration would default to using that table for the set. Unfortunately, "read the source" isn't an option as I work on projects that are not license-compatible with the terms of GPL.

Hopefully I can figure out what isn't present in kernel 4.9 through the release notes (such as fib access, though it is not noted as such on the wiki).

Thanks!

Jeff Kletsky

Distributor ID:  Ubuntu
Release:         16.04