[NFQUEUE] lack of UID/GID fields in fragmented packets

Hi,

I'm developing a user-space firewall service for managing outgoing network traffic. I want to control the access to the Internet on a per user basis. So far, I've made a simple skeleton application which works quite well. The NFQUEUE is attached to the output chain of the mangle table.

Iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -j NFQUEUE --queue-num 0

The queue is configured to capture only meta-data of outgoing packets. The application reads the UID and GID fields from a captured packet. After checking a permission, the application issues a verdict. The configuration of NFQUEUE looks as follows:

nfq_set_mode (qh, NFQNL_COPY_META, 0xffff);
nfq_set_queue_flags (qh, NFQA_CFG_F_UID_GID, NFQA_CFG_F_UID_GID)

Everything works fine until I try to send huge packets. When the size of these packets is larger than MTU then the fragmentation occurs. I've observed that the first fragment has valid UID and GID fields, but the rest of the fragments do not include them.

I've found that the remedy for this concern is to set NFQA_CFG_F_GSO flag.

nfq_set_queue_flags (qh, NFQA_CFG_F_GSO, NFQA_CFG_F_GSO)

From the analysis of the Linux kernel source code, I've figured out that when the above flag is not set, the processed packet is not fragmented before pushing it into the queue. So, the problem is in fragmentation mechanism.

The UID and GID fields (credentials) are taken from the socket structure (sk) of a socket buffer (skb) (skb->sk->sk_socket->file->f_cred). The sk field of skb may be NULL only if the skb originates from some internal kernel subsystem.

A user space application which sends network traffic via a BSD socket always produces skb having valid sk and thus having valid credentials.

I've found that when the fragmentation procedure splits the packet into fragments, it keeps a valid sk only in the first fragment. Therefore, it is impossible to fetch valid UID and GID fields from the rest of the fragments.

Is it intended behavior, or is it a bug?