Re: Writing metadata to a packet

Hi Vikas,

in a very controlled environment, loadbalancer to real servers, I'm
doing that using the IP TOS / DSCP header bits - manipulating them
using the TOS target, on the loadbalancer, in mangle/PREROUTING rules,
and matching them using the tos match on the realservers (nat
PREROUTING) to effect REDIRECT to different local ports (various
apache listening ports).

Not for the faint of heart...

There is no nice wide standard "I've got these bits to freely set and
get them to arbitrary destinations" mechanism on the IP or TCP layer.
netfilter can't invent such...

best regards
  Patrick