Re: nftables conntrack set ops for zone, helper assignment, etc.

Hi Florian,

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 10:17:21AM +0100, Florian Westphal wrote:
> [ CCing Christophe wrt. nft helper assigment ]
>
> Hi.
>
> to make bridge conntrack a reality I need a way to assign packets to conntrack zones.
>
> Whatever solution is chosen, it should allow to eventually implement all of the CT
> target features, namely:
>        --helper name
>        --ctevents event[,...]
>        --expevents event[,...]
>        --zone-orig {id|mark}
>        --zone-reply {id|mark}
>        --zone {id|mark}
>        --timeout name
>
> Unfortunately, its not that simple to do this with nft.
> With CT target, all options are passed to single CT instance so all
> information is available at checkentry (config) time.
>
> Once the target function was run, skb->nfct is set to the template,
> next -j CT (if any) is a no-op (XT_CONTINUE if skb->nfct != NULL).
>
> For nft, it would be nice to use the 'set' syntax, i.e.
>
> nft ... ct helper set ftp
> nft ... ct zone set 4
> nft ... ct timeout set policyname
> nft ... ct ctevents set new|destroy|mark   [1]
>
> Seems simple enough.  BUT:
> now consider case where we want to set both helper and zone:
>
> nft ... ct helper set ftp ct zone set 4
>
> nft_ct only works with a single key, and we have no way to "propagate"
> or "chain" the helper and the zone set operation.
>
> We also don't know that the 'ct zone set 4' is the 'last' action,
> where we're "done" with said skb (i.e. skb->nfct template is fully
> set up the way we want).
>
> Now, lets consider using nft features like maps:
>
> nft ... ct zone set vlan id map { 1 : 1, 2 : 2, }
> nft ... ct original zone set meta mark
> nft ... ct helper set tcp dport map { 21 : ftp, 2121 : ftp, 12345 : sip }
>
> ... which would require that template instantiation happens from packet
> path.
>
> I'd argue that #3 above is not all that important but ability to set
> zone from mark, vlan id etc at runtime seems too nice to ignore.
>
> I've thought about ways to implement this.
>
> AFAICS, zone id is the only attribute that needs to be propagated and
> used in nf_conntrack_in() [because it influences conntrack lookup].

Right, for custom timeouts, we can modify the original default timeout
originally set via proto->new() later on.

> [...]
>
> nft_ct gets two new ops:
>
> 1) a template set op, used when we have sreg + ZONE key (zone key is to be
> added).
>
> 2) a 'unconfirmed set' op, used when we have sreg and
> one of timeout, helper, ctevents, expevents key (the latter two don't exist
> either yet could be added easily).
>
> This assumes that allmost all ct keys are readonly for confirmed/real
> conntracks, otherwise we'd need syntax to indicate that we want to operate
> on template/unconfirmed entry (plus netlink flag to indicate this to
> kernel).
>
> For 1), eval would work similar to this:
>   fetch skb->nfct.
>   If its a valid conntrack, bail (nothing to do).
>
>   If its NULL, attach a percpu template scratch space iff
>   that template scratch space has refcount of one.
>   Otherwise, need to allocate fresh copy (we would not
>   have this problem if we disallow nfqueue of nfct templates but I don't
>   see how this could be done without compat breakage).
>   Alternatively we could force this duplication in the nfqueue backend
>   or disallow queueing skbs where nfct is a template.
>
> In pseudocode:
> template_unused(nfct):
>   return refcount(nfct) == 1;
>
> eval(skb):
>  nfct = skb->nfct;
>  if (!nfct) {
>     nfct = percpu(this_template);
>     if (!template_unused(tmpl)))
>        nfct = ALLOC();
>
>  /* nfct now either percpu cached object or newly alloc'd */
>  nfct->zone = value;
>  inc_refcount(nfct);
>  skb->nfct = nfct;
>
> For 2), do following:
>  fetch skb->nfct.  If its a confirmed conntrack and key set operation
>  works with confirmed conntracks, do the set op, else bail (can't
>  expand/change extension area for confirmed ones, but ctevent mask
>  manipulation would work for instance).
>  If its NULL or a template, call nf_conntrack_in to obtain skb->nfct
>
>  If still NULL, bail (invalid skb).  Otherwise, do the set operation.
>
>  In pseudocode:
>  doit(skb, key, value):
>    if key == helper:
> 	if skb->nfct is unconfirmed:
> 	  add helper extension and return
>
>    else set key/value of skb->nfct
>
>  eval(skb):
>    if (skb->nfct == NULL or template)
> 	skb->nfct = nf_conntrack_in(skb, ...)
> 	if (skb->nfct != NULL)
> 	  doit(skb)
>    else
>      doit(skb)
>
> Problems with above approach:
>
> 1).  nft ct $key set $expr
>
> ... would behave differently depending on the key:
>
> Zone key would not work for real conntracks (can't change zone at later
> point).
> Other keys would do conntrack lookups and assign skb->nfct. I think we
> could change existing label/mark set support to perform a conntrack
> lookup too if conntrack is not yet assigned to alleviate this, otherwise

We still need the existing template behaviour around for iptables.

> 2). The templating scheme used now is rather unfriendly when
> we need to reset the percpu scratch space. Not a big deal if we
> only have to cope with zones since that no longer uses the extension area,
> i.e. our template object would really just be a very bloated way to
> pass the zone information.

I like the percpu scratch approach. Can we probably have a smaller
object, so the skb->nfct interpretation depends on skb->nfctinfo so it
tells us this is a template? I know you're sending a patch to remove
this field, also asking if we could fit in such info in the new
approach.

> 3). nfqueue.  We can infer its presence with refcount test
> on the percpu template, if its > 1, template is still assigned to another
> skb.  If it happens we eat cost of additional kmalloc/free.
> I think this isn't a big deal though.

Right, we have to deal with the escape path.

> 4). Doing helper and template assignment requires lookups in packet path,
> however I think we can make such lookups faster if needed and it would
> only happen for unconfirmed/new conntracks.
>
> 5) helper autoload won't work from packet path.

Another problem we mentioned before is that we would need to extend
nft_ct to include a layer 4 protocol attribute specific to look up for
helpers, which we agreed is ugly.

>    I'd propose to work around this by allowing periodic 'modprobes' from
>    a work queue.
>    Alternatively we could offload this job to userspace (nft should be
>    able to figure out the needed modules too).
> 6).
>
> A consequence of such a design would be that this works:
> nf .. ct zone set 42 ct timeout set bla
>
> The first part, ct zone set 42, would set template to zone 42, and set
> skb->nfct to a template
>
> The second part would do a conntrack lookup with the zone provided by
> the template call nf_conntrack_in(skb), with the zone provided, and assign
> skb->nfct to the *real* conntrack, and set timeout policy to the one
> provided.  Problem is that things won't work when order is switched, i.e.:
>
> nf .. ct timeout set bla ct zone set 42
>
> (first we do a conntrack lookup in default zone, then fail
>  to set the zone because skb->nfct is already set to a non-templated
>  conntrack).
>
> In case noone reports obvious showstoppers I'd explore an implementation
> of the above scheme since I believe the advantages outweight the problems.

I think it should be possible to reuse the new generic object
infrastructure to add new stateless objects, eg.

table ip x {
        ct helper "ftp-standard" { # [1]
                type "ftp"
                protocol tcp
                #
                # Other configuration options:
                #
                # maximum-expectations 3
                # expectation-timeout 300
                #
                # Other specific ftp helper options:
                #
                # loose         # instead of enabling this via modparam?
                #
        }

        chain y {
                type filter hook prerouting priority -250;

                tcp dport 21 ct helper set "ftp-standard"
        }
}

So [1] creates a ftp-standard object of helper type. This object needs
some specific configuration, such as what layer 4 protocol you want to
use and the helper type. This would also solve the module autoload
issue since this is loaded at object creation time, from the control
plane. From rules, we use the "objref" expression from rules to refer
to this object, the obj->type->eval() will just fetch the ct from the
skbuff and attach the helper that we can retrieve via the obj->data
area.

This also provides maps, since "objref" already supports this, eg.

        chain y {
                type filter hook prerouting priority 0;

                ct helper set tcp dport { 21 : "ftp", 2121 : "ftp" }
        }

Note that this doesn't involve any string copy to the register area.
The objref expression is similar to the lookup expression, but it just
takes a _SREG to fetch the key, and then looks up for the object and
run obj->type->eval() in one go. So we don't place pointers in the
data register area since this is illegal in nf_tables.

Similarly, we can add new ct timeout objects. Actually, we could
extend struct nft_object_type so we get select_ops() there too. So we
have ct object types and different operations, eg.

table ip x {
        ct timeout "tcp-short-established" {
                established     100
                #
                # ... actually, any tcp state timeout goes here, if not
                # specified this uses default values.
                #
        }

        chain y {
                type filter hook prerouting priority -250;

                ct timeout set "tcp-short-established"
        }

In this case, we won't reuse nfnetlink_cttimeout, instead we have a
native interface for nftables. So this fits into the transaction
infrastructure that we have.

For ct zones, we can simply rely on the templates to pass it on to
nf_conntrack_in(), a ct zone object to store a single ID is probably
too much.