Re: [RFC] SIP conntrack handler and TCP fragmentation

Ulrich Weber <ulrich.weber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> we had a customer with a Cisco Phone using SIP over TCP
> which subscribed to 15 Phone numbers.
>
> Since 15 subscribe calls dont fit in one packet, these
> requests were fragmented in multiple TCP packets.
>
> One of these fragments gets rejected then by nf_conntrack_sip with:
> nf_ct_sip: dropping packet: cannot parse cseq
>
> The Cisco phone will send retransmits, which got dropped too,
> times out after some time, reconnects and same games
> starts again...
>
> I know the proper solution would be TCP defragmentation
> in the nf_conntrack_sip kernel module. However I'm not
> sure if this is worth the effort.

I think an even better solution would be a SIP proxy that can
inject expectations to keep datapath in kernel and only deals with
the signalling traffic.

> What about just accepting unparsable TCP SIP packets?

I wonder why this patch did not fix your problem:

3a7b21eaf4fb3c971bdb47a98f570550ddfe4471
Author: Patrick McHardy <kaber@xxxxxxxxx>
netfilter: nf_ct_sip: don't drop packets with offsets pointing outside the packet

It specifically deals with this problem (l7 size larger than packet
size).