Re: Snooping expected connections in a user CT helper

On Fri, Sep 09, 2016 at 12:18:24AM +0200, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
[...]
> > > 2) The timeout is not extended when there is activity on the
> > > expectation.  It would be good if it was extended any time there is
> > > new activity, in order to support long-lived subscriptions.
>
> Actually, I thought permanent expectation has no timeout, but looking
> at the code it seems they do. I think it makes sense to refresh it or
> to keep it fixed, given that this depends on the master, it will just
> go away once the master is not there anymore.

Revisiting this: Actually, you are in control of the expectation time
too, so you can set a larger one given this is bound by the master
conntrack if you don't want to cook a patch to update this.

The question here is what are the reasonable timeouts to set, I guess
you can extract this from this application protocol behaviour or any
standard that document it.