Re: [RFC] net: ipv4 -- Introduce ifa limit per net

David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 01:40:56 +0300

> >> I'll re-review all of the changes tomorrow and also look into ipv6
> >> masq, to see if it needs the same treatment, as well.
> >>
> >> Thanks for all of your help and testing so far.
> >
> > Thanks a lot, David!
>
> Cyrill please retest this final patch and let me know if it still works
> properly.
>
> I looked at ipv6, and it's more complicated.  The problem is that ipv6
> doesn't mark the inet6dev object as dead in the NETDEV_DOWN case, in
> fact it keeps the object around.  It only releases it and marks it
> dead in the NETDEV_UNREGISTER case.
>
> We pay a very large price for having allowed the behavior of ipv6 and
> ipv4 to diverge so greatly in these areas :-(
>
> Nevertheless we should try to fix it somehow, maybe we can detect the
> situation in another way for the ipv6 side.

Note that as the ipv6 inet notifier is atomic; now that
nf_ct_iterate_cleanup can schedule the ipv6 masq version defers the
cleanup to a work queue, with a backlog cap of 16.  So in case
of a gazillion events most will be ignored and teardown should not be
delayed (at least not even close to what ipv4 masq did).