Re: nft compat layer

On 18 January 2016 at 09:59, Andreas Schultz <aschultz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Arturo,
>
> On 01/15/2016 09:06 PM, Arturo Borrero Gonzalez wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm giving a spin to the nft compat layer, since it can be of certain
>> importance for distributions.
>>
>> I just want to be clear on what I recommends to end users about
>> migrating from iptables (and friends) to nftables.
>>
>> Could you please remind me in which state was the discussion about
>> that patch to show x_tables extensions in nftables rulesets [0]?
>> I remember Patrick mentioned several concerns back then about this
>> approach.
>

> I have an updated version of this patch and also fixed some of
> the problems I encountered along the way (see attached patches).
> The nft patch is based on nftables-0.5 and the kernel change
> should apply cleanly to linux-4.4.
>
> With the update patch I can load a fairly complex iptables
> firewall with iptables-compat, dump it with nft and reload
> the dump with nft.
>
> The resulting ruleset appears to be working. YMMV.

The last I can find in patchwork [0] seems to support ebtables
watchers, among other things.
The kernel patch to disable validations in nft_compat I assume is work
in progress or something?

Anyway, I just want to make sure what is the roadmap with regards to
the compat stuff. What should I recommend users to do when migrating
to nftables?

[0] http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/459772/
--
Arturo Borrero González