SNAT and contrack helpers

Hello,

I just figured out that conntrack helpers don't obey the configured NAT rules when predicting the related streams. This starts to be an issue in MAP network deployments where each home user only gets a part of the available port range [1024-65534].

The MAP-T architecture is included for convenience (extract from draft-mdt-softwire-map-translation-01)

       User N

       Private IPv4

      |  Network

   O--+---------------O

   |  | MAP-T CE      |

   | +-----+--------+ |

   | NAPT44|  MAP-T | `-.

   | +-----+      | |  -._   ,-------.                     .------.

   |       +--------+ |   ,-'         `-.                ,-'       `-.

   O------------------O  /              \   O---------O /   Public   \

                         /   IPv6 only   \  |  MAP-T  |/     IPv4     \

                        (    Network      --+  Border +-   Network     )

                         \ (MAP-T Domain)/  |  Relay  |\              /

   O------------------O  \              /   O---------O \             /

   |    MAP-T CE      |   ;".         ,-'                `-.       ,-'

   | +-----+--------+ | ,"   `----+--'                      ------'

   | NAPT44|  MAP-T | | ,"        |

   | +-----+        | |        IPv6 Server(s)

   |   |   +--------+ |         (v4 mapped

   O---.--------------O          address)

         User M

       Private IPv4

         Network

In above architecture the (NAT44) NAPT [RFC2663] function on a MAP CE is extended with support for restricting the allowable TCP/UDP ports for a given IPv4 address. Restricting those TCP/UDP ports by using SNAT fails for related streams.

Lets take as an example a FTP client in ACTIVE mode which downloads a file form the WAN. On the NAT box placed between LAN and WAN next MASQUERADE rule is in place:

iptables -t nat -A zone_wan_postrouting -p tcp -j MASQUERADE --to-ports 4000-4500

We will see that the NAT box uses ports in the range 4000-4500 for its control connection, however the data connection (predicted by the NAT box) will use the ports used by the FTP client instead of using a port out of the port range imposed by the MASQUERADE rule. The same problem is present for other helpers too as we have RTSP/SIP/IRC/...

I'm wondering how this issue can be fixed, all suggestions/ideas are welcome. Is there any specific reason why the NAT rules aren't checked for the predictions?

Kind regards

Johan Peeters