Re: ipset: Proposed improvements to the kernel code

Hi Sergey,

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015, Sergey Popovich wrote:

> I have a lot of changes to the kernel code of ipset subsystem for current
> nf-next (and upstream kernel therefore) split into the following major
> categories in order I wish to supply them to the upstream.
>
>   * Bugfixes
>       There is not too much, but exists in upstream, few of which is stability
>       critical.
>
>   * Code cleanups
>       Changes to make code more readable, and other things.
>
>   * Improvements to the ipset core set/type/variant
>     registration/deregistration and other parts of the core.
>
>   * Improvements for bitmap:* set types where two variants implemented:
>     one for set without extensions and another for set with extensions.
>
>   * Improvements for hash:*, where hash buckets still stores array
>     of set elements, but all element iterations is done via bitmap using
>     ffs()/ffz(). There is no error prone memcpy() of elements within bucket.
>
>   * Improvements for list:set, where main change is to move to the
>     standard linux linked lists implementation.
>
>   * Improve counters extension implementation to move from
>     atomic64_t variables used to store statistics to per-CPU variables.
>
> All of these changes are made with primary goal in mind: prepare
> code for conversion from read/write locking to the RCU.
>
> Currently my patch series consists of nearly 170 patches. I wish to
> supply each of them divided into categories I described above.
>
> I choose to send patches against current nf-next instead of
> ipset upstream as last one seems already constains some attempts
> to implement RCU in the ipset. On this mailing list I found discussion
> about some weakness in proposed RCU implementation.
>
> I think my implementation after all code prepare is ready for review.
>
> All commits contains meaningful descriptions (I hope) and code
> is well commented where it is really necessary.
>
> Main development is done for 3.2.x series of kernel, and adopted
> to the current upstream (actually cosmetics changes to apply patches).
>
> As userspace ipset 6.23 utility is used and all changes does not
> include any kernel<->user space API/ABI breaks.
>
> Tests are performed on both 32/64 bit arches with kernel compiled
> for debugging running ipset regression test suite. Only i386/x86_64
> architectures are used for tests.
>
> Thanks for your patience for reading this, please take time to review
> and possibly accept my work.

Please rebase your patches against the ipset git tree: the development
happens there and patches are submitted from the ipset git tree to
nf-next. Also, do not forget to create numbered patches in the future.
Thanks!

I'm able to apply one single patch from your current series.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlecsik.jozsef@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary