Re: xt_recent fails with kernel 3.19.0

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 18:09:31 +0100
Florian Westphal <fw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
> > This patch seems to be doing
> > something different, and I note that nstamps_max_mask is
> > unconditionally set later in recent_mt_check() anyway.
>
> No, its only set if recent_table_lookup returns NULL.
> We return soon after we bump the refcnt when we take this branch.

You probably are working on a more up-to-date branch.  Your patch
assigning to nstamps_max_mask is only executed if recent_table_lookup()
does not return NULL.  In the 3.19.0 kernel, the assignment to
nstamps_max_mask in line 404 also only occurs if recent_table_lookup()
does not return NULL.

> > Can the check for the value of hit_count simply be omitted?  In what
> > circumstances can it be anything other than true?
>
> You mean when nstamp_mask > t->nstamps_max_mask is false?
>
> e.g.
> iptables -A foo -m recent --hitcount 5
> iptables -A foo -m recent --hitcount 4
>
> (2nd rule finds existing table with mask 7).

There's the rub I suspect, but as I say, I don't know your code.  Let's
leave it at that: if I apply the off-by-one patch it works for me
(provided I don't change settings, which I don't in ordinary usage).  I
will wait for whatever you and/or others come up with in due course to
solve it.

Chris