Re: [nft] the -nnn switch

On 19 September 2014 13:25, Patrick McHardy <kaber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 11:49:02AM +0200, Arturo Borrero Gonzalez wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the -nnn switch in in nftables is IMO a bit annoying.
>> We are bounded to use that switch in every serious usage of nft.
>>
>> Let me remember the current behaviour:
>>
>>  -n -> don't translate IP addresses to names.
>>  -nn -> also, don't translate gids/uids to names.
>>  -nnn -> also, don't translate port numbers to names.
>> default -> translate all numbers to names.
>>
>> I propose here that before nftables goes absolutely mainstream we
>> change the behaviour to the opposite:
>>
>> -n -> translate IP addresses to names.
>> -nn -> translate gids/uids to names.
>> -nnn -> translate port numbers to names.
>> default -> show all numerically.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> That seems quite counter intuitive. I'd say the default should be not
> to cause any network traffic for a regular system (not using LDAP or
> whatever), which would be -n. So I would be fine with -n being the
> default and adding an option to also translate hostnames.

So, your proposal is to make the current '-n' the default? This is
what I've understood:

· default (no -n given): show IP addresses (no DNS names), show GID
names, port names
· -n: show DNS names, show GID names, port names
· -nn: show DNS names, show GID numbers, port names
· -nnn: show DNS names, show GID numbers, port numbers

That seems pretty counter intuitive to me, actually.

Whit that combination of options you can't show all numerically, which
I think it should be the default in fact.

--
Arturo Borrero González