Re: libreadline not found by configure [was Re: [ANNOUNCE] nftables 0.3

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 13:22:19 +0200
Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> release]
>
> Hi Robby,
>
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 12:42:36PM -0500, Robby Workman wrote:
> > Hi Pablo,
> >
> > I get this error after configure:
> >
> >   checking for readline in -lreadline... no
> >   configure: error: No suitable version of libreadline found
> >
> > It appears that you're depending on distro-specific enhancements to
> > readline, specifically that Fedora explicitly links libtinfo, Arch
> > explicitly links ncurses, etcetera, while according to upstream
> > readline, this should not occur -- from INSTALL file in readline:
> >
> > The readline `configure' recognizes a single `--with-PACKAGE'
> > option:
> >
> > `--with-curses'
> >     This tells readline that it can find the termcap library
> > functions (tgetent, et al.) in the curses library, rather than a
> > separate termcap library.  Readline uses the termcap functions, but
> > does not link with the termcap or curses library itself, allowing
> > applications which link with readline the to choose an appropriate
> > library. This option tells readline to link the example programs
> > with the curses library rather than libtermcap.
> >
> > I think this will be useful:
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf-archive/ax_lib_readline.html
>
> Thanks for the detailed report.
>
> Would you send us a patch that you can test in your fedora setup? I
> would appreciate it. Thanks.

I don't have a fedora setup, and unfortunately, I'm not comfortable
enough with coding to do that anyway...

Here's what NetworkManager did for the same problem:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/commit/?id=29297f8531e24d4df616c5c3acace9e23a695a02

-RW