Starting point in netfilter development

Hello everyone. My name is Quentin Headen, and I am a student
developer who wishes to get more involved in Linux kernel programming.
I picked netfilter since I am also interested in networking software
development.

I have a few quick questions:
* Is there an active IRC channel for netfilter developers?
* When pulling repository changes, do I use git.netfilter.org, or the
main Linux kernel git repo?
* Where is a good place for me to get started with netfilter contributions?
* Is there any bug tracking done outside of the mailing list?

I would love to help out in this project. Thanks.