NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_NOTRACK

Hi all,

I have a concern / question / suggestion regarding
NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_NOTRACK.

Currently, NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_NOTRACK merely selects
NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_CT, and does nothing else. This means that selecting
or not selecting NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_NOTRACK makes no difference, as
long as NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_CT itself is set.

I seem to understand that NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_NOTRACK was reintroduced
in kernel 3.8 to help migration to NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_CT. I understand
the logic, but this was 7 kernel versions / over 2 years ago. Wouldn't
it be the right time to finally remove NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_NOTRACK?

Alternatively, I find it curious that the compatibility code is
unconditionally built into xt_CT even when NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_NOTRACK
is not selected. Is it an overlook, or is it by design? I think it would
make sense to only build that compatibility code when
NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_NOTRACK is selected. In that case it would make
sense to keep NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_NOTRACK.

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support