Re: [nf_tables] suggestion: system-wide sets

On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 11:32:14AM +0100, Patrick Schaaf wrote:
> On Thursday 27 February 2014 14:02:30 Patrick McHardy wrote:
>
> > Yeah, I agree. I think family wide sets and global (AF_UNSPEC) sets should
> > bet quite easy to add. However there's the question how to expose them
> > in the nft list table output. The idea is to be able to recreate the
> > current ruleset, including sets and elements, by parsing the output of
> > nft list table. If we don't include sets, the user will have to seperately
> > save and restore them. OTOH if we simply include global and AF-specific
> > sets, they will be restored once for each table and this will fail on
> > the second table.
> >
> > Any other ideas?
>
> First of all I'd like to note that this needs-separate-saving, is exactly the
> situation we have right now with ipset, so it is not something totally
> unknown. Recreating a table that references nonexisting global sets, would
> fail, just like loading / restoring iptables rules that reference nonexisting
> ipsets, fails right now.

Right, but it makes atomic replacements of the ruleset either asymetrical
to saving them or simply impossible. Sets are considered a part of the rulset.

> Alternatively - but I'm not sure how good an idea that would be - couldn't
> such nonexisting set references somehow create "forward declarations" to
> permit loading in any order, and threat as-yet-undefined sets as empty?

That would mean any typo in set names would create an empty set instead of
an error. I don't think this is a good idea.

> An additional issue that I imagine we'd have, is set names clashing between
> global and per-table sets. To this end, maybe it would be useful to have a
> syntactic means to differentiate the two cases when referencing sets. Maybe
> append a second '@' to reference global sets?
>
> nfd add rule ip input ip saddr @sharedset@

The alternative would be scoping, we need to look up in multiple scopes
anyways. AF-specific overrides global.

> Rule listing could be a bit flexibly when just a plain set name is given,
> showing per table or global sets as they exist.

Yeah, that definitely makes sense, we don't want to dump all global sets
if they're not even used within a table. Actually even easier would be
to not show them at all outside of the AF_UNSPEC family and require the
user to restore in the correct order when using global sets. We do support
file inclusions etc. that make this easy to handle. A full dump (all AFs)
would simply begin with AF_UNSPEC and be restorable without any manual
intervention.

> Just some thoughts I have on the issue, looking from the outside. Use as you
> see fit :)

Thanks.