Re: Netfilter Extension Development Queries

On 11.02.2014 22:30, Duncan Eastoe wrote:
Hello,

I wish to build an extension that strips LSRR IPv4 Options from
outgoing traffic and re-inserts it for inbound traffic. I've been
given some pointers about how to approach this which are:
     * A match extension which matches on the presence of LSRR options.
     * A target extension, similar to NAT, that removes/reinserts the
appropriate LSRR options.

On the Netfilter Extensions HOWTO I have found a match extension by
Fabrice Marie (http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/netfilter-extensions-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.6)
which should already do what I want. There is also a target extension
which strips all IP Options
(http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/netfilter-extensions-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.2).

I believe these extensions were in the deprecated Patch-O-Matic system
(?) and this has been replaced by Xtables-addons which appears to
contain an IP Options match extension but not a target extension?

Not that I'm a developer...
There's only TCPOPTSTRIP in main iptables.

Also, regarding the switch to nftables from iptables. Will my approach
listed above work with iptables and nftables or is a different
approach required for nftables?

there is work in progress on a compat-layer:
http://git.netfilter.org/iptables-nftables/
which should transparently *translate* the syntax (if implemented in nftables).

Best regards

Mart