Re: RFC: nftables set selection

Hola Patrick,

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 05:07:42PM +0000, Patrick McHardy wrote:
> Hola,
>
> as promised I've started looking into implementing a better mechanism for
> automatic set selection by the kernel.
>
> We have multiple different set implementations in the kernel, which provide
> different memory and performance characteristics. Userspace should not
> know or hard code these characteristics since they may change and
> implementations may get added or removed from the kernel.
>
> So the kernel needs a way to select the ideally best suited implementation
> according to characteristics of the data contained in the set and user
> preference, like lookup performance, memory usage, updates times.
>
> Wrt. to this problem, we have two fundamentally different situations,
> constant sets where the entire content is known at the time the set is
> created and non-constant sets, about which in the worst case we know
> very little at the time the set is created.
>
> From what I can tell, there are two possibilities how to do this:
>
> - Dave brought up the idea of simply trying each possible implementation
>   and comparing the results. The advantage of this is that we have definite
>   information for both constant and non-constant sets, the downsides are
>   that the update costs may significantly increase. Its not possible in
>   all cases to give an estimate of memory usage just based on the number
>   of elements, but the entire set actually has to be built. This is f.i.
>   the case for upcoming array mapped trie, where memory usage is dependant
>   on the number of clusters in the set,
>
>   Possible refinements of this idea are to only try every N changes or
>   when we notice we have to change something anyway, f.i. because of
>   too long hash chains.
>
> - My initial idea was to have an abstract description of the data's
>   characteristics and have the set implementations return an estimate
>   based on this description. This poses two problems: for non-constant
>   sets we may not have any data to analyze, so the best we could do is
>   either have the user manually specify the expected characteristics,
>   or try to deduce them from the ruleset. For both constant and non-
>   constant sets we need a notation to describe the data.
>
> Assuming we'd go with the abstract descriptions, the hard part is
> getting the information we include right so future implementations
> will hopefully have the information they need.
>
> We currently only have two very non-optimized (for our purposes) set
> implementations, nft_rbtree and nft_hash. In both cases the number of
> elements it pretty much all they need.
>
> I also have two upcoming new set implementations:
>
> - array mapped trie, which is basically a trie with 8 bits per level.
>   In this case memory usage doesn't depend on the total amount of keys,
>   but on the amount of clusters requiring new leaf nodes.
>
> - offset bitmap: a fixed size bitmap, where the beginning of the range
>   is subtracted from the key before the lookup. The costs are constant,
>   but depend on the range of the keys.

> [...]

I also think we need that set description, otherwise empty set
handling is going to get more complicated, since we'll have to
re-evaluate the selected set everytime we add a new element. If we
don't have that abstract description, we would also need to be
inferred from the elements, that can be expensive for large sets.
More specifically, regarding the set description information fields
that you propose, could you elaborate an example of how the selection
would happen based on the ones that you propose above?

Another possibility that I've been considering is that nft makes the
set type selection and tuning from userspace. The idea is that the
kernel provides a listing via netlink of the existing set types,
including a description of the available set type parameters and
performance information (memory consumption per element, lookup time
performance metrics). Based on that information and the abstract set
description, userspace can decide what set type suits better for your
needs.

One of the things that I like the most in nftables is that the
"intelligence" resides in userspace, so, once we have the generic
kernel infrastructure in place, you only need to update your userspace
tool to get new features. Moreover, if we improve the set selection
logic from userspace, users won't need to wait until distributors
upgrade their kernel to get a better set selection/tuning and I think
we'll end up having quite some debate on the set selection algorithm
as it will be the key to improve performance.

So, why don't we perform this set selection/tuning from userspace?