Re: nftables add vs replace

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 02:17:31PM +0200, Tomasz Bursztyka wrote:

> >>Actually, after your patch and Arturo's, it could be possible to
> >>improve the ruleset management so
> >>it would use create/add/replace accordingly.
> >>
> >>Though it means it would need to dump first the targeted
> >>tables/chains to do so,
> >>thus I am not sure how relevant is my blabbering from performance
> >>point of view.
> >How would that work? Dumping rules, flushing the old ones and reinstalling
> >them is prone to race conditions.
>
> There would be no flushing involved.
> Comparing the dump vs the input ruleset you would know what to
> remove/replace/add.
>
> But maybe there is no benefit from that anyway.

I still I don't see how this helps. Incremental updates already work,
the two problems I see are:

- create something only iff it doesn't exist: easy, not use NLM_F_EXCL
- replace entire tables or chains: harder since the transactions need to
  handle tables, chains and sets which they currently don't. For basechains
  this goes down all the way to nf_register_hooks() since we need to
  atomically replace the hooks.