Re: libnftables set element printing, DATA_CHAIN

On 15 January 2014 23:50, Patrick McHardy <kaber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [resending because of incorrect list address]
>
> I was looking at some incorrect output in netlink debugging for set elements
> and noticed a few things that seem odd:
>
> First, the regular netlink debugging seems very incomplete, it doesn't
> print verdict types, it prints [end] whether the set contains intervals
> and the set is an interval end or not and its messing up the output.

It's true, most of the development went to the JSON/XML formats, not
the default one.

> Next I'm wondering about what DATA_CHAIN is supposed to be. I guess its
> the chain for a jump or goto verdict, This is even encoded in the
> XML and JSON output. This seems wrong to me, there is no DATA_CHAIN,
> there are JUMP or GOTO verdicts that include a chain. The specific
> verdict is also missing, so its not possible to distinguish these
> two cases.

Ok, let's fix that. Do you have a proposal?

This is what I think you want:

* a <data_reg type=value> with raw data.
* a <data_reg type=verdict> with a concrete verdict (eg drop accept)
* a <data_reg type=jump> with a chain to jump to.
* a <data_reg type=goto> with a chain to go to.

Or maybe:

* a <data_reg type=value> with raw data.
* a <data_reg type=verdict> with a concrete verdict (eg drop accept)
and if verdict == jump or goto, then a <chain> with the destination.

> I could fix up the debugging output, but this looks like someone more
> familiar with the XML and JSON stuff should have a look at this and
> fix all of this consistently before we release it as wire format.

I can handle it.

regards
--
Arturo Borrero González