libnetfilter_queue/libnetfilter_conntrack: TCP packet reordering

Hi all,

since Netfilter is working on the network level my understanding would be that in case one want to use libnetfilter_queue to get to the full content sent through a TCP connection, reassembly and reordering of TCP segments have to be done by yourself.

I've looked at the source code of the l7-filter [1] project which uses netfilter queues as well as conntrack to reassemble packets and do a regular expression search to be able to determine protocols based on application layer data. Apparently the only thing they do is to append data from incoming packets of the same connection to a buffer without ever looking at sequence numbers.

My question therefore is: Is my understanding wrong and Netfilter (potentially with enabled conntrack modules) already reorders TCP segments according to their sequence numbers or did I miss something and you would have to do it on your own?

[1] http://l7-filter.clearfoundation.com

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes,
Christian