Re: nfqueue: detect when packet has already been checksummed?

Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 10:48:26PM +0200, Florian Westphal wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > When using nfqueue, userspace currently has no way
> > to tell wheter queued packets have a bad checksum, i.e.
> > applications that need data integrity must do full checksum
> > validation in userspace (except maybe when only queueing in OUTPUT).
> >
> > However, there are several places where incoming packets are already
> > checksummed in kernel, before packet hits nfqueue, e.g. via nic rx
> > csum offload, or in conntrack.
> >
> > So I think it would be nice to provide a hint that kernel already did
> > checksumming.
> >
> > The SKB_INFO attribute added in -net for GRO support seems like a
> > candidate.  However, since 'already checksummed' is the common case this
> > would mean adding that attribute most of the time.
> >
> > Unless we would do the opposite hint, i.e. tell userspace when
> > checksumming has NOT been performed yet.
> >
> > Such change would however need to go into -net, else userspace can't tell
> > 'checksum ok' from 'kernel too old to provide flag in SKB_INFO attribute'.
>
> User-space has no way to know what info flags are available. If we add
> more info flags in the future, we'll have the same problem that we have
> now. I mean, currently an unset info flag from userspace may mean:
>
> * It's actually unset.
> * It is not available in this kernel.

Yes, I understand this.

> So I think we need to pass a mask of available info flags, so
> user-space knows how to interpret what 'unset' means. The mask would
> also help to tell user-space that some info flag is not available.

I plan to add a query feature that userspace can use to determine
supported attributes/flags.

Userspace can then bind the queue and then figure out what
attributes are support.

A more simple solution is to simply add a 32bit revision number
that is dumped to userspace.

But regardless of the solution, its definitely -next material.

I simply tried do get one-more-thing into -net.  If you say no,
thats ok.

It merely means I need to add the detection-thing before resubmitting
this patch.