Re: Allow DNPT target from raw table?

On Monday 06 May 2013 22:21:01 you wrote:
> On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 04:38:19AM +0200, Oliver wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Currently, the DNPT target is restricted to the mangle table; this means
> > that it is effectively impossible to utilise NPT in tandem with conntrack
> > since it's impossible to rewrite the destination prefix prior to
> > conntrack taking a look at the skb.
> >
> > Please consider allowing the use of DNPT from the raw table so that it's
> > possible to do prefix translation without having to forego the benefits of
> > conntrack.
>
> The raw table doesn't have a POSTROUTING chain, which is where SNPT is
> performed on order to catch both local and forwarded traffic.
>
> If you're using conntrack anyways, why use NPT? The main benefit is that
> you don't have to use conntrack.

Right, I wanted to use NPT to avoid having to use conntrack for the
translation.

imagine the following:

local internal subnet is 2001:db8:1::/64
local subnet is 2001:db8:aaaa::/64
remote is 2001:db8:ffff::/64

if my local hosts initiate a TCP connection to fc00::1 , they first send a
packet with 2001:db8:1::x as source.

This then passes through the raw table and causes a conntrack entry to be
created - then at mangle/POSTROUTING, SNPT will translate to
2001:db8:aaaa::/64

At this point conntrack has an entry setup for 2001:db8:1::x rather than
2001:db8:aaaa::x

when the reply returns, it will have a destination of 2001:db8:aaaa::x which
will be considered to have a ctstate of INVALID since it has not been mangled.

If I wished to avoid this scenario, I would need to use DNPT within
raw/PREROUTING in order to restore the original destination IP prior to the
conntrack lookup - thus giving me the benefits of both stateless prefix
translation and stateful TCP connection tracking.