How to modify conntrack accounting?

Hi, I have a requirement to account for "bytes I pay for" over some link, and conntrack very nearly gives me the right answer... This link uses accounting somewhat like ATM, where the IP data is sliced into fixed size cells and you have to pay for the overhead per cell, plus the wasted space in the extra cell.

I look at the latest kernel sources and all the packet size accounting seems to be performed in: nf_conntrack_core.c / __nf_ct_refresh_acct() and __nf_ct_kill_acct().

I see several options:

1) Modify the accounting procedure in nf_conntrack_core.c so that certain connections will use a different accounting formula. However, how would I mark from userspace that a certain interface has this unusual accounting property?

2) Could/Should I produce a new netfilter module which operates per packet, looks up the connection object for a given packet, and then adds a "fudge" to the connection accounting number to correct for the effect of the odd packetisation? Presumably from userspace you would then simply create an iptables rule tagging packets out of a certain interface with "-m my_odd_accounting".

I don't yet know how to build option 2), but it seems appealing (anyone got any consultancy time and want to bill me to build it?)

I would appreciate feedback from those more knowledgeable? Given the small niche of the solution a modification to nf_conntrack_core.c is appealing, but I'm unsure how to indicate which are the peculiar interfaces, only userspace will know this.

Thanks for your thoughts/hints

Ed W