Re: state match is obsolete 1.4.17

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >> I think removing it is a bad idea. For years and years all docs, books,
> >> tutorials and frontends (like my own) have worked with "state". The
> >> change seems so trivial "s/-m state --state/-m conntrack --ctstate/g"
> >> that it would appear keeping "state" around as an alias or compatibility
> >> layer would require minimal effort. Why not keep it around?
> >
> >Actually, I have to agree. Why don't we keep "state" as an alias and
> >accept the old syntax in "conntrack"?
>
> state is currently aliased and translated to conntrack in iptables
> if the kernel has it. No scripts are broken.
>
> If the aliasing is done in userspace, the kernel part can be removed -
> someday maybe.

The aliasing is already done in userspace. One types in "state" and it's
converted into "conntrack" and that is then sent to the kernel. (So as far
as I see if the ipt_state, etc module aliases were added to the conntrack
module, even the state kernel module could be removed.)

However I suggest to delete the obsolete warnings completely from iptables
and let these cases silently be handled as aliases.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlecsik.jozsef@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary