Re: [nf-next/nf_tables-experiments - v2 PATCH 0/4] fixed chain name, chain rename and rule replacement

Hi Tomasz,

On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 01:38:29PM +0200, Tomasz Bursztyka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here a second version of the previous patchset, now taking care of
> chain's name issue. The name is fixed, same size as in iptables.
>
> About an alternative, it could be possible to store a variable chain
> name in a separate allocated memory, kept in hash table: not the
> chain object itself, just the name. The key would be the chain's
> object pointer.  At least, from execution point of view it would not
> affect anything since the name is necessary only for the user. The
> only issue is the memory occupied by such hash table.

We can declare a const char * inside nft_chain and kmalloc the area
for the name dynamically. If renamed, we can reallocation it. It's
simple, but we increase memory fragmentation.

> I was looking quickly at the linux helpers, could not find a
> hashtable/map api, is there any? If so, I could try this idea of
> names stored like that.

There have been some discussion regarding generic hashtable API since
long time.

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-nfs/msg33526.html

It seems Linus is going to take it.

> Tomasz Bursztyka (4):
>   nf_tables: Change chain's name to be fixed sized
>   nf_tables: Add missing policy for NFTA_CHAIN_USE
>   nf_tables: Add support for changing users chain's name
>   nf_tables: Add support for replacing a rule by another one.

I've taken these three to nf_tables-experiments branch.

Thanks a lot.