Re: ipset restore behavior with newer glibc

On Wednesday 2012-10-31 17:27, Josh Hunt wrote:

> When doing an ipset restore with newer versions of glibc I'm seeing some extra
> syscall overhead that I was not seeing with glibc 2.4. I was wondering if
> anyone has seen such behavior and could help me understand what is going on?
>
> Here is a snippet of strace during the restore with glibc 2.4:
> http://pastebin.com/qxkPF7FB and one with glibc 2.7:
> http://pastebin.com/wga9SN0E
> I've also seen similar behavior with glibc 2.11.
>
> You'll notice that with the newer version a second netlink socket is created
> and it appears some data is sent and info received back from the kernel

I have observed such as well in other programs as well. Without
looking into this too deeply, I suspect that a program, or a library
on its behalf, is using the interface name<->index resolution
functions if_nametoindex(3) et al, for which netlink is used in
sufficiently new glibc where socket ioctls were (probably) used
previously. Could this be it?