iptables-dev Source Example

Hello everyone!

I'm totally new to the iptables development sphere, so I would like to kindly request for a favor...

I have installed the iptables-dev package on my Debian Linux machine.
What I want to do is to write my very own program using the iptables library to query the interface information
of various machines (queues, lost packets, total packets etc).

But no matter how much I've tried to find a single tutorial or a source code sample (with the compiler command, of cource)
I failed.
So, can any of you please help me out? Maybe give me a tip on where to search or pass me a link to a tutorial page or anything that could contain a program sample and compilation instructions..?

Thank you very much, in advance