Re: How to access conntrack connection expiration in a netfilter module?

On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 10:17:02PM +0100, Ed W wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to update the opendpi-netfilter module to work with
> more recent kernels and the ntop ndpi fork of the code (now that
> opendpi seems to have gone away)
>
> The netfilter module registers a conntrack notifier in order to
> release resources once a conntrack is destroyed
> https://github.com/ewildgoose/ndpi-netfilter/blob/master/src/main.c
> This is not possible though, if you also want to have conntrack
> events through netlink... ( NF_CT_NETLINK grabs the conntrack
> notifier first)
>
> Now I have read the history on why this is the case, but what are
> the obvious workarounds to this situation?  Can we extend the
> conntrack connection with custom properties? Anything better than
> simply scanning my flows occasionally and comparing with the
> conntrack list to see if they have gone away?

We used to have notifier call chains to deliver in-kernel
nofitications to events. However, since it was overkill for just one
single client (ctnetlink), we removed it and use a single hook
function.

The workaround is to dig into the history, find that code and forward
port it.

But I have to warn you that I won't take that patch into mainstream
since there's only one single client in the official Linux kernel
code, and external clients like that ndpi thing do not justify such
change. Sorry.