How to make netfilter modules communicate?

Hi, I'm plotting a custom accounting module which would give me some per device (MAC), per interface and per protocol bandwidth statistics, but I would quite like to decompose the module into several re-usable pieces and have them communicate. I hope this isn't too dim a question, but how to make the modules communicate...?

For example some of my interfaces are attached to upstream connections which calculate bandwidth in a peculiar way (eg think ATM encapsulation, but even more wierd...). I could create a new module which might match on interface and create a new per packet bandwidth computation based on the parameters for that upstream interface. How then to make that computation available to other modules?

Also I'm trying to fixup the opendpi-netfilter module to work with nDPI and I would quite like to use that to classify all traffic such that the accounting module can then log per interface, per user and per protocol. Again how to communicate between the accounting module and the ndpi module and tag that a certain connection is a particular protocol?

I already use connection marks quite extensively in this setup, so I would like to avoid crystalising this stuff into a conmark in some way, but is there a better way to say extend conntrack data to include things like custom protocol information, or are there other sensible ways to communicate between iptables modules?

Thanks for any thoughts

Ed W