reason that iptables mac module only has mac-source option

hi guys,

I am working on the mac module, and I added some arp related options
in it. I noticed that this module originally has only --mac-source
options in it. At first I think maybe author didn't want touch any
output packet. But now I doubt that maybe iptables hook point doesn't
support to do so. That is why I came here asking you guys for help. I
think in iptables OUTPUT hook point, it has not yet generate any 2nd
level information in the skb buffer, hasn't it? That is why mac module
can only touch incoming packet because only the incoming packet takes
the mac information in iptables

anybody can answer me? thanks a lot

BRs
jerry ma