facing problem with iptables nat rules and traffic flow scnerios

I am using iptables for nat
kernel version is 2.6.35+
working on powerpc target

case 1) traffic is already flowing and we apply a rule, that rule will
become effective only when we stop traffic and start again.

case 2) traffic is already flowing and we delete a rule, this rule
will still be effective unless we stop and start traffic again.

observation: /proc/net/ip_conntrack file is updated only after stoping
and starting traffic again.

These two are the limitations i am facing. Is there a way to overcome
these limitations. Please reply

Thanks and Regards,
Rahul Shrivastava