10GbE Connectivity & Netfilter

Hi all,

I have some questions regarding to 10GbE connectivity with netfilter/iptables. I searched on google. But didn't find anything to make a clear conclusion. Most of the results were just confusing, conflicting with some others or quite outdated. So, I've decided to write here to get best possible answers by its developers' mouth :-)

So, before asking my questions, here are the some details regarding to the questioned environment :

- 10GbE NIC connectivity with the same speed direct Internet (10Gbit/sec) connection. - 350.000 - 400.000 packets/sec. inspections/forwarding in some peak loads (it happens frequently. So, safe to say that it's average load most of the time.) - In peak times, there is 7-8 Gbit/sec. traffic. Average is around 5 Gbit/sec. - Server has plenty of RAM and CPU/Cores. (Don't remember the exact configs now.)

My questions :

1- Is netfilter subsystem multi-threaded/multi-core enabled ? So that, it can spread the loads across the CPUs/Cores. 2- Can it handle such loads consistently (without any issues/bottlenecks) as I've mentioned above ?
3- Is there any performance matrix and/or practical examples to see ?
4- What kind of netfilter/kernel configs recommended for such a load ?

Many Thanks In Advance For Your Valuable Answers!

Cheers.

Tarkan