Re: xtables2 a8, netlink interface

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Saturday 2012-01-21 15:10, Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 19 Jan 2012, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> >
> >> So here is the first set of patches implementing part of the xt2 core
> >> and nfnl interface. Please review, I am sure you will have something
> >> to say :)
> >
> >At a first glance I must say it looks very promising. Good job!
> >What seems to be missing is some kind of protocol version negotiation
> >support between kernel and userspace. Or it'll come in the next batch of
> >patches? :-)
>
> Can be an attribute returned with NFXTM_IDENTIFY messages.

That attribute should be there from the very beginning.

> But I had not really given thought to that (ipset is also still at protocol
> 6, so..)

Yes, but anytime there would be a need for a protocol extension/new
protocol, that'd be added easily, with full transition support.

Netlink makes too easy to add new attributes - and ignores unknown ones.
However, in our case both communicating parties must know the exact
capabilities of the other one: it's unacceptable that say a new flag is
introduced and sent from userspace and got silently discarded by the
(older) kernel.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlecsik.jozsef@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary