Re: [ANNOUNCE] ipset 6.11 released

On 21/01/2012 5:45 a.m., Mr Dash Four wrote:

Doable, but needs time and would involve adding the logic to auto-merge smaller subnets into larger ones and to make possible to delete subnets from larger networks.
Merging of ip ranges would be very difficult - I am having the same problem here as well. I use PostgreSQL as part of my setup and even though it has some nice capabilities to deal with "common" ip/range/net address operations, it is still very difficult, nigh-impossible to deal with ip range merges, simply because there are so many possible scenarios: any two ranges could be partially overlapping - like [ (] ), one range completely overlapping another - like [ () ], or two ranges "touching" one another - like [ ]( ) - that last one is very difficult to spot for merging and can't see it done very easily.

Jozsef, have you had a look at how rbldnsd handles ranges? It has to deal with the same issues as ipset seems to be facing now, also at some high speed requirements. Maybe you could pull some inspiration out of that.

AYJ