latency increased X 10 on update

Using ipset-6.9.1 on Linux-3.1.1
Only managing ipv4 traffic on Intel Atom-330 firewall.

Same iptables rules, however after updating from v4 code I see issues.
Attacker sends a packet;
I detect a unserved dest port and --add-set Blah src;
LOG it, DROP it, and begone;
But the set may not match for several further packets.
Ouch. Buffers?

Blah is used as
iptables -t raw -I PREROUTING  --match-set Blah src-j DROP
This DROP is NEVER logged, but certainly counted.

However I often continue to log multiple packets from blocked hosts, despite I am supposedly blocking them on the first bad packet. I can confirm they are in the set but when packet_count exceeds 1 something is very wrong with that picture.

Marty B.