Re: xt_AUDIT additions

However, xt_owner did not held the tasklist [write] lock, just entered a RCU read section. hch: Was this RCU section also too long?

xt_owner had the bonus that it only had to check whether the socket was owned by a particular user/group/pid/sid, which means it can stop looping the tasklist as soon as it found a match.
I'll have a look at the xt_owner code later to see if there is something I could use/learn.
Interesting, thanks for all the pointers!

xt_owner.c does have some answers. skb->sk->sk_socket->file->f_cred->fsuid and skb->sk->sk_socket->file->f_cred->fsgid seems to point to the socket user id/group id owner. That, to my understanding, may not always be the uid/gid responsible for sending a particular packet via this particular socket, or have I got this wrong?

Moving on to the process id, I take it skb->sk->pid (or is it skb->sk->sk_socket->sk->pid?) holds the pid list of the process(es) owning the socket, right? Should I assume that the process responsible for sending a particular packet could be found by traversing that list or do I have to look elsewhere?

Also, am I right in assuming that only one process is responsible for sending a particular packet? If that is the case, then there must only be a single, unique triple of uid/pid/gid for each packet. If that is so, how do I know which uid/pid/gid is responsible for that?