Re: netfilter queue throughput slowdown

Le jeudi 30 juin 2011 à 19:07 +0200, Eric Leblond a écrit :

> As the verdict failure is bound to occur in a high load time,
> retransmission of the verdict (which is necessary) will not help the
> system to recover. Userspace has to deal with it but it has another
> consequences which is that userspace software may suffer of case where
> successive failures occurs.
>
> In this scope, Florian's patch "netfilter: nfqueue: batch verdict
> support" could be really useful. It could be used by userspace to
> trigger an decide on all stucked packets. Issuing a massive ACCEPT could
> lead to dynosaurus packet coming from ancient time but it could be ok if
> batch occurs enough often.
>
> Is there a plan to accept it in mainstream ?

Given that apparently some apps are not aware some of their verdicts are
lost, I consider the BATCH idea would be a bad idea, unless DROP is
used.

If you have any doubt, only sane thing is to drop packets, not accept
them.

Maybe a single queue flag is needed : DROP_OLD_PACKETS, if user
application is handling packets in order.

Every time a verdict is given by application, automatically DROP all
previous un-verdicted packets.