Re: FTP Packet Mangling & NAT

>  The proxy completely controls what the client gets given. It is
>  breaking transparency by not reverse-mapping the response properly.
>  Mention it to the authors and get it fixed.

The authors (Websense) are of a different opinion of how this issue is
fixed. They recommended that we enable active FTP (significant
security risk).

>  A transparent proxy is equivalent to a NAT module in all respects.
>  Merely operates on the FTP layer in this case.
>  Switch "module" for "proxy" and you have a good plan for fixing the
>  bug.

Not really, even proxying these requests would result in the same
issue as the child proxy would relay the parent proxy's response.

>  NOTE: If you do steps 5 and 6 in the IP layer you will be bypassing the
>  proxy data handling and void all your reasons for having it done by a
>  proxy in the first place. Instead of by the conntrack NAT module for FTP
>  for both outgoing and returning traffic.

The point is not to get rid of the proxy but to fix the issue that the
proxy is presenting to all FTP communications.

>  Disclaimer: I'm not one of the NF gurus. Just a proxy guy.

Thanks anyways.