Re: UDP DNAT to a broadcast address

Hi Jan,

thanks for the quick answer.

> On Wednesday 2011-05-18 17:58, Detlev Zundel wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>looking for the answer to this problem, I searched the web and this
>>mailing list, but I still couldn't find a definitive answer to the
>>question that I have.
>>
>>In my setup I need to a UDP packet sent to the external IP of my router
>>to trigger a broadcast UDP packet on the local network and relay back
>>the answers to this packet.
>>
>>It looks like this should do the trick:
>>
>>iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i ppp0 -p udp --dport 3333 -j DNAT --to
>>192.168.0.255
>>
>>Of course, as I write this e-mail, this does not work.
>
> On the contrary. This should exactly do what is requested: changing
> the dst address in the packet to 255, and you should be able to
> observe that this address change was successful by using -j LOG in
> filter-INPUT.
>
>>I can see the packets entering the INPUT chain, but I see no packets
>>on the OUTPUT chain. I speculate that this is because braodcast
>>addresses are not routable and thus the packet gets lost somewhere.
>
> By the very definition of broadcast, a receiver is not to route it
> any further, wh. As such, it enters INPUT. No loss, the machine
> properly receives it (as it is supposed to). OUTPUT is only for
> locally-generated packets, but received frames can only appear in
> INPUT or FORWARD.

Yes, sorry, I really meant that I did not see anything on the FORWARD
chain.

> Netfilter does not even play a role in this.
>
> All the bcast/mcast forwarders are userspace AFAICS.

Ok, thanks for the explanation, this now all makes sense to me and I'll
turn to userspace.

Best wishes
  Detlev

--
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have
had a  prior exposure to BASIC:  as potential  programmers they are mentally