Re: ip6tables breaks dnssec?

Op 27/04/2011 om 13:41:39 +0200, schreef Leo Baltus:
> Op 27/04/2011 om 13:22:57 +0200, schreef Jan Engelhardt:
> > On Wednesday 2011-04-27 12:43, Ulrich Weber wrote:
> >
> > >Each fragmented IPv6 packets will traverse netfilter separately,
> > >in contrast to IPv4, where its only one refragmented packet.
> >
> > Not really. All fragments enter nf_hook_slow, be it IPv4 or IPv6.
> > It's just that nf_defrag - which is a netfilter module - collects and
> > suppresses fragments before spitting out the unfragmented one.
> >
> > >"ip6tables -A INPUT -j ACCEPT -p udp --dport 53" will only match the
> > >first fragment, where the UDP header can be found. To match the
> > >additional fragments, you have to insert these rules:
> > >
> > >ip6tables -I INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
> > >ip6tables -I OUTPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
> >
> > That will load nf_conntrack_ipv6, and because conntrack depends on
> > nf_defrag_ipv6, will load that too. Once it is loaded, packets should
> > be defragmented independetly of whether you actually use -m conntrack
> > (or the obsolete -m state) or not.
>
> my /proc/config.gs says:
> CONFIG_NF_CONNTRACK_IPV6=y
> so it is already loaded
>
> But is does not defrag.

So is this a bug? Given the state ip6tables is now in the only way to
make defrag work is to set '--state RELATED,ESTABLISHED'. As I
understand it, this should not be the case, right?

> Also I am a bit worried about using conntrack because of the high
> volume dns queries tend to be which would generate a very large
> connectiontracking table and/or system load.

I am not sure if this is true or not for fragments, but for heavy tcp
traffic (http) we use raw/NOTRACK to avoid conntrack, how would that work
with ip6tables considering heavy fragmented (http or dns) traffic?

--
Leo Baltus, internetbeheerder                         /\
NPO ICT Internet Services                            /NPO/\