Re: iptables release plans

On 21.03.2011 20:48, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Monday 2011-03-21 19:48, Patrick McHardy wrote:
>>
>> So the options basically are:
>>
>> - branch off the current HEAD, remove all new extension for upcoming
>>  features and release that branch
>
> I find deletions just for the sake of making a release not very
> aesthetic to the git history. It duplicates commits in a way, but
> above all, interrupts the flow when tracking changes with "git
> blame". Better branch off earlier...
> 	~/envisioning a git topic for the next NFWS.~

That's really not the question, I'm not going to release
extensions for kernel modules which are so far in -rc.
There's a reason for -rc, one of them is that we still
have a chance to fix things in case we messed up.

>> - skip the release for 2.6.38
>>
>> Any opinions?
>
> Since there was no iptables release for 2.6.37 was skipped, features
> do have accumulated. In fact, there were features added (socket r1)
> in 2.6.31 that were not made available up to iptables-1.4.10+git. In
> reverse chronological order:

> Not to mention a handful of actual program fixes to parsing and
> slightly improved robustness (like NULL deref avoidance, I think
> there was at least one).
>
> So yeah, time for a release or so. Not for 2.6.38, but for the
> general benefit.

Yeah, that's my opinion as well. Which means branching and
removing new extensions from that branch.