Re: can libnetfilter_conntrack be used to write a userspace connection tracker?

On 16/02/11 18:52, Sam Roberts wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:20 AM, Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Probably you have hit one of the bugs that went into 2.6.37. Please, try
>> the patch attached. IIRC, this is fixed in -stable and 2.6.38 and later
>> kernels.
>
> Since I'm not yet building my kernels from source, its easier for me
> to build a newer kernel than to find an old one and patch it.
>
> Stable is 2.6.37, I'll try 2.6.38-rc5.

I'm using 2.6.37 with the patch that I sent you in one of my firewalls:

$ uname -a
Linux debian2 2.6.37 #7 SMP Mon Feb 7 10:34:10 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Everything works fine.

> userspace connection trackers seems a bit bleading edge, I'd be happy
> to build your latest code from git if you point me to it.

http://git.netfilter.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=conntrack-tools.git;a=summary

It's stable, I'll release 1.0 soon.

Some more work can be done on it to port it to libmnl, add H323 and SIP
support, active-active support, among tons of many other improvements.
But that can be done in the future.

> I'm now two steps back since upgrading from ubuntu's default kernel
> 2.6..35 and tools 0.9.14.
>
> It used to be everything but setting expectations was working for me,
> but I no longer get updates at all about the conntrack table, and
> neither does conntrack -E or -L:
>
> % sudo conntrack -L conntrack
> conntrack v0.9.15 (conntrack-tools): 0 flow entries have been shown.

As said, here works fine with the patch that I attached ;-)