Buffer-bloat (was Re: IPTV buffering)

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
 On Thursday 2010-12-16 10:57, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:

>  [...] NetConf 2010, see:
> > http://vger.kernel.org/netconf2010.html

 I just went over a few slide sets, and noticed Dave's Netfilter summary
 about your IPTV talk, enlisting the point

 * Ethernet switches buffer too small

 ("too small".. "too few"?) Given the recent uproar about bufferbloat in
 routing devices (see LWN coverage about Getty's articles), wanting
 larger buffers seems to almost contradict what Getty would like.

Always wanting small buffers doesn't make sense. It seem that he is not considering that network equipment can be used for other things than TCP/IP.

I have created a blogpost:
 http://netoptimizer.blogspot.com/2010/12/buffer-bloat-calculations.html

Where I explain how it makes sense to have small buffers on links with a small bandwidth.

- ISPs need to adjust the buffer size according to the bandwidth of the link.

 Wanting more buffers vs. wanting less buffering seems to be quite
 contradictory. Jesper, what is your take on this?

Skimming through Getty's blog post, I think Getty has actually missed what is happening. He should read my masters thesis[1]... The real problem is that TCP/IP is clocked by the ACK packets, and on asymetric links (like ADSL and DOCSIS), the ACK packets are simply comming downstream too fast on the larger downstream link, resulting in bursts and high-latency on the upstream link.

Adjusting my statement; the asym ACK issue might be part the issue, causing the packets to queue in the buffer.

The buffer-bloat issue is very true and a real-life issue. ISPs need to adjust the buffers according to the bandwidth on the link!

Cheers,
  Jesper Brouer